“The Purple-Necked, Black Bearded Blatch” with Full Size Pattern Download

blatch.jpg

This little nugget of puppety goodness, though its been in circulation on the web for a while, recently resurfaced over at PuppetBuilding.com. The article was originally published in a 1969 issue of Women’s Day Magazine and includes a play, The Purple-Necked, Black Bearded Blatch, written by Jerry Juhl, and patterns and instructions for four puppets, the characters in the play. You can’t get much more “vintage Muppet” than this!

Here’s the article – Script, Pattern & Instructions

And, for your convenience, here’s the pattern pieces, full-size and ready to be printed – Full Size Pattern Print

Judging from the size of the pattern, it appears the puppets are just the right size for kids. Have fun!

Cross-posted from the Project Puppet Blog.

Share |

8 Comments to ““The Purple-Necked, Black Bearded Blatch” with Full Size Pattern Download”

1. Nihcolas de la Canal 12 June 2008 at 8:51 am #

Very fun pattern. I’ve used it a ton of times and the pattern is very open to variations.

2. Tammy Arseneau and Lynn Eyland 21 August 2009 at 12:30 pm #

We have been searching for years for these patterns and this story! In the early 70′s we were in high school and made these puppets and performed our first show with them. We created the”Puppet Power” company and performed many shows for our town(hospital shows, mall events picnics etc,) In 1976 Lynn moved away and sadly that was the end of our shows. Now that we are grandparents and great aunts we want to recreate these same puppets and do our show again. Up until now we couldn’t find them! Thank you from two very grateful Puppeteers!

3. peter noer 19 October 2009 at 12:11 pm #

as to agree with Nicholas, i too have used it many many times and when the copies i had became lost, i tried to re-create it. non -people characters i had created using the basis of them. by adding a few more darts and such.
    thanks!

4. Jon from Elmwood 7 November 2009 at 11:05 am #

This is a pattern surely got many many many young Muppetheads involved in puppetry. I hope it continues to do that now that it’s available here, thanks Puppt Buzz! Well done!
    JB

5. peter noer 22 December 2009 at 7:48 pm #

I had already made 2 “muppets” from the Jim Henson desinged Patterns from the above article. didnt use suggested colors.Perfect puppets everytime.I oftimes think that “old school”/retro design puppets from way back then are evry bit as good as the new type materials and designs

6. Peggy C. 29 December 2009 at 9:03 pm #

I am so glad to see this article again. In 1970, I made the puppets and performed the play at a church Christmas party. It has been a part of our Christmas Eve party every year since then! Needless to say, the puppets are starting to get worn, but they still have all their charm. When people want to borrow them, I can give them this article and instructions for them to make their own Christmas tradition. Thanks for sharing!!!

7. Cheri Cornelius 6 January 2010 at 2:43 am #

Thanks, I had these pages from the magazine for years and lost them in a move. I have been looking for this. We did this show every Christmas for 10 years. I made two sets of puppets and can’t wait to begin our tradition again. It’s soooo funny!!!

8. Bob Conrad 2 March 2012 at 5:06 pm #

These are the patterns that got me started making Muppet style puppets. I have enlarged them and altered them for many different projects. I add a pillow in the top of the head to give it shape and make it easier to operate. But this was what got me started on this style puppet.